Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Topic 10: Communication Skills

Assignment #1:List three forms of communication for every type. Then explain what barriers or problems could arise with each form of communication. Explain how those barriers or problems could be rectified or solved.

Written: Text message
Verbal: Cell Phone
Non-verbal: T-Shirts

Sending a text message is different because people don't understand exactly what you are trying to say. It can come out mean when you where never trying to sound mean. It can even sound nice when you where trying to sound mean. It's very difficult to understand people that way. It can create a lot of problems for friends or anyone. They can get mad at each other for misunderstanding them from there text message. Talking in cellphones or house phones is not quite good either because the line can cut off completely or just be cutting off during the conversation. Then people might think that you clicked on them or they won't hear you clearly and maybe the little bit that they heard sounded rude or nice. Now having a T-Shirt with a writing that offends someone is another conflict. People may not even know that it offends a person. They just like the shirt because of the colors or something but it has nothing to do on what it says or its significance. Maybe they do feel the same about what their shirt says. If so, someone will feel offended and will get mad at them and will conclude into a conflict. To fix all these conflicts they would have to clarify things or they can talk about it and explain to each other what they feel about everything until they come to an understanding, if possible.


Assignment #2:Write about your communication skills. Do you think you have good communication skills? Do you think you communicate effectively and efficiently with everyone you encounter? Do you communicate differently with different groups/kinds of people? If so, why? Do you see ways you could improve your communication skills?

I think I have good communication skills but at first I am very shy. Once I get to know the person I get to know how she/he really is. I like all kinds of people I don't judge someone right away I let them tell me how they are. If I don't like how they are then I just don't become great friends with her but I'm not rude and tell her that I don't want to talk to her, unless she does things I really don't like. But I would just talk to her when I see her, say hi and everything. I can improve my communication skills by talking more to people because what stops me from talking to someone right away is that I am very shy.

Assignment # 3: Service Learning Weekly Journal.

I communicate with people a lot at Five & Ten. They are very communicative as well. Especially being in a restaurant where everyone helps each other out, we all talk to each other. I have learned what we have to wear there, also many recipes. What I have also learned is that we need to be out of each others way so we won't bump each other and slow each other down. They like to get things done as soon as possible, so it won't be hard to fix the plates later on.

1 comment:

  1. Great examples. No one has ever mentioned a a t-shirt as non-verbal communication, but that is a great example. Being shy is not always a bad thing either.

    Good post. Some small errors, but good details and content. 28/30 points.

    ReplyDelete